Sunday, July 19, 2009

Lima - home away from home



Saturday, July 18, 2009 (Day 8):

Today, we got up and went to the girls home again for a final time before we headed back to Lima, our home away from home. The girls were excited to see us back! We sat down and quickly told the rest of the Esther story. Again, the girls were very attentive to the story. Of course, Julie is an amazing story teller, so it was easy for them to want to pay attention. After the story time, we split the girls up, half stayed inside to make friendship bracelets and the other half went outside to play games. Today, I was on the game team. We played Red Rover with the girls and "Gato, gato, pero." (Cat, Cat, Dog) Then when we told the little ones it was time for them to go make the craft, they shot off so fast. All the girls love making crafts. The older girls came out, but were more interested in finishing their bracelets rather than playing games. A few of us did play volleyball for a bit. I kept looking for my little friend, Yanet. Finally she walked out, walked right up to me and tied the bracelet she had made on my wrist. I got tears in my eyes. She then joined in on the volleyball game. I really wanted to make her a bracelet to keep, so I went inside to get some string. She followed me in, picked out some string and quickly made me another bracelet. So now, I have a bracelet on each wrist that Yanet made. I did get some string and started making a bracelet and gave it to her. I wasn't able to finish the bracelet, but she knows it was for her. The hardest part of the day was saying good-bye to these precious girls. Yanet didn't want to let me go. She just kept hugging me and I wanted to just hold her. I really wish I could bring her back to the states with me. We went outside and sat down and she tucked her head into my chest. When we were told that we had to leave, she looked up and had tears streaming down her face. I about lost it when I saw that, but I kept my composure and didn't let any tears stream down my face.

I had been praying that the Lord would reveal to me why he sent me down to Peru. He answered me today at the girls home. I realized that I'm here to love on these kids. They don't care if my Spanish is very broken and doesn't make sense half the time. All they want is someone to give them attention, play with them and love on them.

Yanet definitely has a special place in my heart and I pray she knows how much God loves her and she puts her hope in Him.

After we ate some lunch, we boarded our flight back to Lima. The take off and first few minutes were a little scary. The plane would move and make all of our stomachs drop. After we reached our cruising altitude, the ride smoothed out. I kept looking out the window in awe of God's creation. It was absolutely stunning looking at the Andes Mountains from the plane window. As we got closer to Lima, the clouds reappeared and we were a little sad to say good-bye to the sun. It was great getting some Vitamin D for a few days. We were all glad to be back in Lima though. The thin air in Cusco was really hard on our lungs. We would walk a little ways and be huffing and puffing.

We were very much Americans in Peru tonight. We went to Chili's for dinner and ate some chips, salsa and queso!!! I didn't realized how much Mexican food I actually ate until I came down here. I really miss it!!! I was craving chips and salsa so bad! At Chili's, we can actually eat the salads. It was nice to eat some greens and healthy food. After Chili's we went to Starbucks. It was great!

The Lord has been faithful and helped me with my homesick feelings. Don't get me wrong, I do miss the comforts of home, friends and family, but I'm enjoying my adventures and time here in Peru. It has definitely been a blessing and I'm anxious to see what else the Lord has planned for Peru!

Thank you for your prayers and support!

Te amo,
Dawn
P.S. I bought some stuff at the girls home yesterday. Yanet had knitted some stuff and I bought it. I would rather spend my souvenir money there and support them!

Sunday, July 19, 2009 (Day 9):

Today was a very lazy, uneventful day! We got up and went to the same church we attended last week. It was all in Spanish, but I was trying to broaden my Spanish vocabulary while we were singing the songs when I recognized the tune. After lunch, we came back to the hotel and pretty much hung out having girl talk all afternoon. We had so much fun laughing and talking! It was great to have a break for a day to just enjoy this day of rest!

I thought I'd share the lyrics to a song I listened to before I fell asleep last night. It is fitting for my current adventure.

"God of this City" by Chris Tomlin:

You're the God of this city
You're the King of these people
You're the Lord of this nation
You Are

You're the light in this darkness
You're the hope to the hopeless
You're the peace to the restless
You are

For there is no one like our God
There is no one like You God

For greater things have yet to come
And greater things are still to be done
In this city
Greater things have yet to come
And greater things are still to be done here

You're the Lord of Creation
The Creator of all things
You're the King above all kings
You Are

You're the strength in our weakness
You're the love to the broken
You're the joy in the sadness
You Are

For greater things have yet to come
Greater things are still to be done
In this city
When glory shines from hearts alive
With praise for You and love for You
In this city

Greater things have yet to come
Greater things are still to be done
In this city
Greater things have yet to come
And greater things are still to be done here

I fully believe that the Lord has greater things to be done in this city. He has sent this team of six girls to Peru to share His love and Hope with the orphans.

Thank you again for your prayers and support!

Dawn

No comments:

Post a Comment